Tuesday, June 5, 2012

ON REINFORCEMENTS ARE ON THE WAY... June 5, 2012


Estelle, Esther, Steve  1981
Campbellton, NB
It was 1980 and we were pastoring the Pentecostal Church in Wilson’s Beach, Campobello. I was 21 years old. It was a great place to live and work for the Lord with only ONE drawback!  I remember it like yesterday. It was the first year we were there and right after Labor Day I was driving down the Island and noticed something very strange.  All the local businesses seemed to be having a problem with windows being broken.  Every business we passed, we noticed that there was someone outside putting boards over the broken windows. Then I noticed one business and I could see that the windows weren’t broken yet there was someone boarding those ones up too. I thought, “That’s strange!” Then I realized, they’re not boarding up broken windows, they must be preparing for one of those hurricanes that I had heard the Islanders talk about.  But I was wrong yet again!  I remember stopping at a place and I asked, “What are you doing?” The man replied, “Boarding up windows!” Then he kinda looked at me with that, “that’s a dumb question to ask” look.  I said, “Yes, I can see that, but WHY are you boarding up the windows?” He explained that they were boarding the windows up for the winter months because tourist season was finished and many people only lived on the island during the summer months and would head south for the winter.  I said, “Oh! I see.”  Now this was something that I hadn’t even thought of.  But I soon learned how deserted the island could be in the winter.

Now folks, I have to tell you, "That was one quiet winter on that island!"

Anyway, I told you that to tell you this. The following year I received a phone call asking if I would be interested in going to Campbellton, New Brunswick to continue the work that Brother Harry Lewis had already started. I would be joining the Home Missions team and would be under the Mission 1000 program that had been created by my Dad, Brother Raymond Roach. Mission 1000 was a Home Missionary finance program designed to support several church planters full time on the field. Things came together quite quickly and we resigned the church in Campobello.  We loved the people and the church and the island villagers.  They were good to us!  

We were so excited about this new adventure! Mom and Dad were only an hour away in the city Bathurst, New Brunswick which was nice too.  Dad had already planted a new church there and had built a Mobile Chapel which I had helped him build a few years earlier.  It wasn’t long until I, too, wanted a Chapel just like Dads for the Work of the Lord in Campbellton.  I found a mobile home that had been stripped down to just a flatbed and after looking it over realized this would be a great start for a new Mobile Chapel.  It was 14’ X 70’.  My Dad checked it out with me and agreed that it would be ideal.  On his advice, I bought the flatbed for $1,400. and was able to buy enough material to frame the walls and close them in. It was during that time that some adverse things happened and the Mission 1000 program came to an abrupt end.  I remember the day that Dad called the Missions Team together in Edmundston to let us know that there would be no cheque this month.  I was devastated!  I wondered, What will we do?  How will I afford to live?  I recall that it wasn’t but a few days later that Dad called to tell me that he and mom were moving to Nova Scotia.  He asked me what I was going to do strongly suggesting that I should think about moving somewhere else.  I said, “Dad, I can’t leave here! I have an 11 month old baby. We have a nice home that we are renting. Plus, I’m right in the middle of building the Chapel!  And I can’t just up and leave!"  Once again my heart sunk because I couldn’t understand why all this was happening! Deep loneliness and discouragement began to set in. I found a job at a local bicycle shop building and maintaining bikes.  But it wasn’t enough money to sustain us. I needed some reinforcements and I needed them now! We ended up leaving the beautiful home we were renting on Dover Street because we simply didn’t have enough money. One of our neighbours offered us a pop-up tent trailor to live in so we moved into a camper for the summer.
As we lived in the camper, I continued to build the Chapel.  My wife’s brother, Vincent, came up to give me a hand. He was a great blessing! I remember the day he and I worked so hard building the first 70 foot wall.  We built it in two 35 foot sections and by the end of the day we were able, with the help of Esther, to stand the wall and get it braced! 70 feet is a long wall!! That night a strong thunder storm with heavy winds ripped through Campbellton and when we came back to the Chapel site in the morning, the wall that we had worked so hard to build had fallen outward onto the ground!  What a 70 foot mess! Much of the wall was destroyed and had to be completely rebuilt. That was the day I "lost it!"  My poor brother in law, Vincent, was in the wrong place at the wrong time. As I was so overwhelmed with grief I took my hammer and smashed it against one of the 2X4 braces. The 2X4 went flying across the floor and hit Vincent in the arm. There happened to be a 4”spike protruding out of the board and it left a 6”gash in Vincent’s arm! I was more devastated than ever!!  Now someone was paying the price for my own discouragement and anger!  I literally felt sick to my stomach as I saw the blood pour from his arm.  I would never intentionally hurt anyone!  I think he has forgiven me but I’m sure there is still a scar that reminds him of that day.  Sorry Vince!!

Once again I was so distraught but we were determined to tough it out! Money was very low but we were determined! There were a few faithful churches who sent money designated directly to us.  For that we are so thankful!

During that time I recall receiving word from Brother Harry Lewis that he was putting together a crew of men to give me a hand to finish closing in the Chapel.  I was so happy. I had the four walls standing and sheathed when they arrived.  He sent the crew of men over from Perth, New Brunswick to do the roof and that was such a great encouragement!  No one will ever know just how thankful Esther and I were to have the roof sheathed and shingled!  It was beautiful! Thank you Brother Lewis for the reinforcement!! 

The next hurdle was the electrical and we had no idea how we would be able to do it.  And didn’t we receive a call from Brother Colby Churchill in Hatfield Point and he said, "We are providing the money for the electrical and we are sending Brother Murray Urquhart up to do the work." Brother Urquhart and his wife came to Campbellton and did all the wiring.  Once again, we felt the relief of reinforcements! 

The fall came and we knew we couldn’t live in the camper for the winter so we divided the Mobile Chapel into two sections with a wall. In one end we built a small apartment for Esther and I and our daughter, Estelle.  It had one bedroom and the rest was an open concept with a tiny bathroom in the corner. It was November, and winter in Campbellton was extremely cold as I recall. We had no insulation in the walls or the ceiling. We had a wood stove and someone had donated some firewood for us. I can’t remember how much wood we went through but it was substantial as you can imagine.   I remember that our roof was the only ‘bare’ roof in the neighbourhood! The snow had come and we kept the fire burning full time to keep us warm.  The snow would melt as fast as it hit our roof!  

Again, a feeling of despair overwhelmed me as I knew the coldest months were yet to come.  We needed reinforcements and we needed them now! Sure enough! God sent a “Good Samaritan”!  I call him that because I know if it hadn’t been for this man, we would have never survived the winter!  His name was James Underwood from Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Brother Underwood worked for Canada Post and was in our area doing some work for a few days.  He called us and wanted to stop by for a visit.  When he arrived I think he was shocked to think we were endeavouring to live in an uninsulated home in Canada in the middle of winter with an eleven month old baby.  Before he left our home that day, he told us to make arrangements to go to the building supply store and get whatever we needed to get the Chapel insulated and gyprocked!  He went to the store and paid the bill before going back to Halifax.  Once again we felt the awesome blessing of reinforcements!  I remember the incredible difference it made in our heating once the walls and ceiling were insulated. Then my wife’s sister and brother-in-law, Helen and Donnie Kennedy, came to Campbellton to help install the gyprock.  Donnie also gave me a crash course on how to build kitchen cupboards. They turned out quite nice!

My heart is so full today that now 32 years later, I see the “big picture” and how God sustained us during that time and how He sent REINFORCEMENTS just in the nick of time...EVERY TIME!
It blesses us to see that the church in Campbellton is still going strong today!!

There may be someone today reading this, who may be walking a difficult road and you are wondering, “How will I ever make it through? I wish there were some reinforcements!”  I need to say to you, “Don’t lose hope!  Don’t EVER lose hope!!  Reinforcements are on the way!”  Not only will the Lord send reinforcements but He is faithful and He will RESTORE many times over for the sacrifices you make for Him!

Today Esther and I look back and realize how God has blessed us many times over for the sacrifices we made early in our ministry!  Just remember, when you think it’s too hard, REINFORCEMENTS ARE ON THE WAY   SRR!    

No comments:

Post a Comment