Sunday, June 10, 2012

ON THE GIFT OF REBUKE... June 10, 2012


In grade one I fell madly in love with the girl of my dreams!  I knew we would get married some day. She sat right in front of me in our two room schoolhouse in Friendship, Maine.  The problem was that she wouldn’t give me the time of day!

Scene 1:  It was about the second or third week of school.  I had tried every possible way to get Bonnie’s attention.  But to her, it was like I didn’t exist!  So I waited for that right moment and when I saw her coming up the aisle I eased my foot out into her pathway.  She tripped and fell flat on her face!  Dating rule # 1: Never introduce your feet first to a lady! It's not nice!

Scene 2:  Mrs. Sylvester, my 1st grade teacher, was a large woman.  Many times the size of me!  She hollered my name across the room and the room went deathly silent.  I even think one of the windows cracked when she yelled.  She had witnessed the entire event!  I was BUSTED!!

Scene 3:  Mrs. Sylvester grabbed my arm, and ushered me directly out of the classroom. We walked briskly, side by side, toward the stairway leading down to the basement where the washrooms were.  She directed me, of all places, right into the “girls” washroom.  She grabbed the top part of the back of my trousers and yanked them down so that the quarter panel of one of my buttocks was exposed to the fresh air!  She proceeded with her right hand to plant one good swat right on my bare behind!  I was humiliated!  I was shocked!  I was hurtin’!  Then I was cryin’!  I haven’t checked lately but I’m quite sure there is still an imprint of her hand to this day!  For sure there is still a little sting!!

That day, I gave up on Bonnie and I’m not sure who she married and don’t care!!

Scene 4:  One week later, I was outside on the school playground with some of my friends.  We were tossing balls, tossing sticks, and “innocently” I tossed a rock.  I guess because of the earth’s rotation, the rock found it’s way right through my 1st grade classroom window.  Once again, I heard my name in a most spine tingling, familiar way!  STEVE!!!!  It was Mrs. Sylvester! Once again she had witnessed the entire event!

Scene 5:  She beckoned for me to come into the school.  I did!  She grabbed my arm, and ushered me directly down to the basement where the washrooms were, again.  She directed me right into the “girls” washroom, again.  She grabbed the top part of my trousers in the back, again, and yanked them down so that one of my buttocks was exposed to the fresh air, again!  She proceeded with her right hand to plant a second good swat right on my bare behind, again!  I was humiliated, again!  I was shocked, again!  I was hurtin’ again! And I was cryin’ again!  The other one hardly had time to heal!

Me and the Gang
When the dust settled, I gathered my friends together.  Timmy Beals, Craig Beals, and Craig Reid.  The four of us made up a team of unequivocal loyalty!  We went everywhere together!  We went to school together, to church together, down to the wharf together...everywhere!  I began to share with them my discontent with the actions of Mrs. Sylvester.  They were in total agreement with me.  So I devised a plan for the next time she gets out of line. I explained what I planned to do.  I will reach up and place both hands on her head and shout, “I REBUKE YOU IN JESUS’ NAME!”  I said, “You guys need to be close by because I don't really know what might happen!"  I’m not sure where I came up with that idea but it reminds me of something else I encountered early in my ministry.

In my first year of pastoring when I was 20 years old there was a man who came to our service on a Sunday night. I had never seen him before.  He sang along with all our songs and seemed to know the words quite well.  He seemed to like my preaching because every so often he would say “Amen”.  Or maybe that meant, “That’s enough!”  Anyway, it seemed obvious to me that he had some church background.  After the service he came directly over to me and introduced himself.  He wasn’t long letting me know that he was ‘used’ in the Gifts of the Spirit.  I said, “Oh really!”  He said, “Yeah, especially the “Gift of Rebuke”.” The definition of rebuke is: An expression of sharp disapproval or criticismI was curious so I said, “And how does that work?”  He said, “Well, during any given church service, when I feel the “gift” comin’ on I stand up and point someone out and begin rebuking them!  I said, “Oh really?  Well, just so you know, you will NEVER do that in my church!” He argumentatively insisted that it was really in the Bible.  He said you need to read the book of Ezekiel because Ezekiel was the “Rebuking Prophet.”  Again, I firmly said, you will NEVER do that in my church!” I furrowed my eyebrows this time.  He apparently wasn't impressed!  We never saw him again!

I said that to say this, I know it takes all kinds to make the world go around!  But sometimes the reputation of the church is less than desirable and has been marred by people who lack wisdom and proper teaching.  I’m glad that Mrs. Sylvester didn’t see the stupid side of me in demonstrating the gift of rebuke at 6 years old.  It probably would have meant another trip to the basement! And you know what happens there! Oh, by the way, there are only nine Gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Corinthians 12, not ten!  ‘Rebuke’ is not one of them. Also, the Gifts were given to edify, not to criticize or tear down.

How about we just get back to being real and stop playing games. This is about the Church sharing the Gospel not the church doing some circus sideshow act and portraying something about God that isn’t true!  Our generation is looking for something that will really heal their hurts and bring hope to their messed up lives.  Let’s go to Church today and help the troubled and hurting find a place of refuge in Jesus Christ!   SRR

No comments:

Post a Comment