Friday, June 1, 2012

ON WHAT MOM SAID..... May 27, 2012


As long as I can remember I have always gone to church. I think I could count on one hand the number of Sundays that I have missed going to church throughout my entire life. Seriously, I think it was only four times! And I think they were because of snow storms! Living in a Pastors home and now being a Pastor perhaps has had a lot to do with that! It’s simply a way of life.  When it was church time...we went to church! No questions asked! BECAUSE MOM SAID!  If I had said, “But mom, I’m sick, I don’t think I can go to church today.”  Mom would have undoubtedly replied, “Prove it!”.  And if I did go to the bathroom and vomit she would have probably said, “There, now don’t you feel better? Let’s go to church!” HAA! 


That may sound kinda cold hearted but here’s the point.  The Bible is clear on it’s instruction, “Proverbs 6:20  My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the LAW OF THY MOTHER JUDY!” HAA! (I added Judy!) The Bible also says, “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.”  Notice how it explains why we should not forsake our gathering together. To exhort one another and to do it more as you see “the day” approaching.  What is “the day” that this is talking about?  It is speaking of the day of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  


You see, when we come together we are acknowledging that Jesus is going to come again and we will all be raised ‘together’ to Him in the air!  In another place is says that we should encourage one another and spur one another on by coming together and speaking of the coming of the Lord.  What better way can we do this other than by coming together for a church service and speaking about the Lord’s return for His people?  I think the influence of the world has caused people to have a distorted view of Sunday church service.  Our hearts and minds have become clouded by the worlds thinking, “Oh, this is my day off...I just want to sleep!” or “Let’s all go to the beach and just relax in the sun. It is called the ‘day of rest’ you know.”  


According to Hebrews it says in chapter 4 verse 9, “There remaineth therefore a REST to the people of God.”  In verse 1 it says,  “Let us therefore fear (or be careful), lest, a promise being left us of entering into His REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.” And verse 3 says, “For we which have believed do enter into REST.”  There is something that happens to you when we come together and sing praises to the Lord and listen to the Word of God through our Pastor.  This is how our spiritual batteries are recharged.  There is a special rest that can come no other way other than by gathering together with other believers for the purpose of exhorting, encouraging and strengthening!  So many people can’t figure out why they are so tired all week long. 


HERE IS THE SECRET!!  There is a special rest that will come to you if we will follow this simple instruction.  Give it a try and see for yourself!  How about changing those plans today! C’mon, Let’s all go to Church!  BECAUSE MOM SAID!! SRR

No comments:

Post a Comment