Monday, June 25, 2012

ON THE BACK ROADS OF HOYT....


Don’t try this at home, unless you are a professional!

Bell Bridge  Juvenile Settlement
Back a number of years ago, we were spending a couple of nights at our cottage in Hoyt, New Brunswick. We loved that little place! No running water, just a spring at the bottom of the hill. An old covered bridge with lots of hilly twists and turns in the road.

The first day that we were there we were driving on the Juvenile Settlement Road out in back of Hoyt, not far from the Bell Bridge. I asked my two girls if they had ever ridden on the hood of the car before.  They both emphatically said, NOOO!!  I said, “Would you like to?” Michelle, our sporadic one, was quick to say, “YES!” But Estelle was a little more cautious. She said “Really, Dad? What if something happens?” I said, “I’ll go slow, you’ll be fine.” To which Esther said, “NO! YOU’RE NOT DOING THAT!” I insisted, “They’ll be okay!” Then she gave me that, “Don’t be so dumb, look!” I said, “Aw it’ll be fun!” The girls, now, were in full agreement! Esther wasn’t excited about it at all!

Anyway, I changed the subject and we continued on our little ride.

The next day Esther stayed at the cottage while I and the girls went for a ride in the car down to the spring to get some water. When we got out of sight of the cottage, once again, I asked the girls if they would like to ride on the hood of the car! Michelle said, “YES!” Esther didn’t object this time. So I stopped the car. We got out and I sat each girl on the hood of the car side by side and told them to lay their backs against the windshield. I said, “Now hold on tight to the windshield wipers. Cause here we go!”  As they lay against the windshield they looked at each other and grinned from ear to ear! The second the car started to move they let out a deafening squeal. Then their screaming turned to hysterical laughter as I accelerated a little. Once in awhile I would turn the wipers on and they would scream their heads off! I would speed up and slow down and they would squeal all the more! I’m sure they will never forget the day when their dad lost his mind and turned the car into their personal roller coaster! Esther still didn’t say a word!

After our episode of fun we went back to the cottage and the girls ran in to tell their mom what THEY had done. She just shook her head!

That afternoon we were at the little restaurant in Hoyt and when we came back to the car it wouldn’t start. I wasn’t sure what to do so I called Bro. David Ferrell who was pastoring the church there at the time. I explained my dilemma and told him I needed to be back to our church that evening for Bible Study and that I didn’t know what to do. He gracious loaned me his car.  I assured him that I would be back with it in the morning.

My family got into his car and as Pastor Dave was standing at the driver’s side window while we were saying goodbye, all of a sudden from the back seat behind me came this little voice from Michelle saying, “And Dad...don’t do anything stupid!”, obviously referring to our ‘hood of the car’ experience. I remember glancing back at her and frowning but not saying anything. Have you ever had an awkward moment? This was mine! I glanced at Pastor Dave and I know he was wondering what in the world could this little girl be talking about. Perhaps he was wondering, “What is this guy going to do to my car?” I was a little embarrassed as I drove away in Pastor Dave’s car. I brought his car back the next morning and I don’t think I ever did explain to him what my daughter was talking about. I’m quite sure he checked all the fenders when he got the car back though!

Well, the moral of this story is.....
Actually there is no moral other than, “Just have fun and make your kids laugh a lot!”

C’mon up sometime and I’ll take YOU for ride on the hood of my car!  It’ll be fun....I’ll just go slowly!  HAAA!  Maybe Esther will join you! SRR

2 comments: