Saturday, April 19, 2014

ON...NEVER EARLY, NEVER LATE, BUT ALWAYS RIGHT ON TIME

It was 1996 shortly after moving to Quebec that our ’89 Oldsmobile Cutlass died.  We had already been planning a trip to New Brunswick.  The girls were so excited because on this trip we were going to a place they absolutely loved! Magaguadvic Youth Camp. Both girls had been to that Summer Camp every summer during our pastorate in Springfield and Back Bay. And since we didn’t know of any Christian camp in Quebec we decided we would take them down to New Brunswick.  

We didn’t even have enough money to buy another car and we knew we couldn’t borrow money to buy one!  So, we just waited.  For one solid month we endeavoured without a vehicle.  It was hard!  I did have my motorcycle and once in a while I would take Esther on the back of the bike to the grocery store to buy supplies.  We could only carry a few at a time.  

I remember feeling discouraged about the situation and was wondering what are we going to do.  As we got closer to the day that we were supposed to go to New Brunswick, the girls became more and more anxious wondering how we would be able to go. 

The day came and still no car. But that morning I told Esther, I think I’ll just go up the street and check out one of the local car lots. Knowing that I didn’t have any money for a car, I must confess that my expectation of coming home with a car was low. 

Well, while I was gone Esther entered into her “TURBO FAITH” mode. Now if you don’t know what that is, it’s when you get this overwhelming sense that something is about to happen and it’s gonna be good! You see, since coming to Quebec we have noticed that when you live totally by faith you simply believe that God is your supplier and that HE CANNOT FAIL!  

It wasn’t long after I had left the house that she called the girls into the kitchen and said, Girls, I want you both to go to your rooms and I want you to pack your suitcases and we are going to set them right out here by the front door because, TODAY WE ARE GOING TO CAMP! One of the girls looked at her mom and said, “Are you gonna pack your suitcase too?  Esther responded, “YES!”.  

As I was looking at the cars on the lot a young salesperson came over to me and asked if I needed any help. I said, “As a matter of fact I do.”  I said, “Are you the manager?”  He said, “No, but the manager is right there in the office.”  I said, “I’d like to speak with him.” He said, “Sure!”  

As I walked away from the salesperson I noticed he stayed by my motorcycle as I went into the office.  I introduced myself to the manager and said, “I have a problem.” He said, “And what’s that?” And I said, “I don’t have a car and I need one today.”  He said, “How much money do you have?  I said, “I don’t have any money.”  He said, “You do have a problem.”  

Without any hesitation and without any forethought about this, I heard myself say these words, I don’t have any money today but I do have that motorcycle and I can have money within 30 days.  I no more than got those words out of my mouth when the young salesman walked into the office and said to me, “I want to buy your motorcycle.” I looked at the manager and he looked at his salesman and the manager looked back at me and said, “Which car do you want. We can make a deal! 

The timing was like it had all been rehearsed. It all happened within just a few seconds! We quickly drew up the details and that day I drove off the lot with a beautiful, white 1994 Ford Taurus in perfect condition with only 60,000 kms. I was so excited!  

I remember driving into the driveway and Esther and girls came running outside. I’m sure the girls were thinking, Our dad is such a Hero!” while at the same time I was thinking my Dad “up above” is such a Hero! Living by faith is like walking a tightrope at times but there is one thing I know....MY DAD IS NEVER EARLY AND NEVER LATE, HE’S ALWAYS RIGHT ON TIME! SRR

No comments:

Post a Comment